Kew Gardens (Royal Botanic Gardens) dates back to the eighteenth century and is steeped in history. Over 300 acres of beautiful gardens with scientific exhibits, wonderful architecture and information.
1631 - The Dutch House is built on the site of an earlier Tudor structure built by Samuel Fortrey.
1678 - Sir John Evelyn (diarist) mentions a visit to a ‘myretetum and orangerie’ belonging to Sir Henry Capel.
1731 - Frederick, Prince of Wales, leased ‘The White House’ located next to the ‘The Dutch House’.
1728 - The Dutch House (now known as Kew Palace) leased by Queen Caroline.
1751 - Death of Prince Frederick
1751 - Augusta (Dowager Princess of Wales), the widow of Frederick continued the lease of the Dutch House and added improvements.
1756 (Circa) - Prince of Wales (to become King George III) tutored by Sir William Chambers in the art of architectural draughtsmanship.
1759 - Augusta founds a nine acre botanic garden guided by William Aiton (head gardener) and Lord Bute.
1760 - Temple of Bellona (A.K.A. Temple of War) constructed by Sir William Chambers on the authority of Lord Bute under the Princess Dowager.
1761 - Orangery designed by Chambers.
1761 to 1762 Great Pagoda constructed.
1770 - Grounds enhanced by ‘Capability’ Brown.
1771 - Death of Augusta.
1771 - King George III and Queen Charlotte take over ownership of the Dutch House.
1771 - Queen’s Cottage built as a summerhouse for Queen Charlotte.
1785 - Temple of Arethusa built by Sir William Chambers.
1801 - Cambridge Cottage (formerly owned by Lord Bute) is designated to George III’s son Adolphus whom he made Duke of Cambridge.
1802 - The White House is demolished.
1818 - Death of Queen Charlotte.
1836 - Aroid House (1 Glasshouse Street) re-erected from an original structure from Buckingham Palace.
1837 - King William’s Temple constructed, designed by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville.
1837 - Cambridge Cottage, situated on Kew Green becomes permanent home to Duke of Cambridge.
1841 - Royal Commission hands grounds over to the nation.
1844 - Work begins on the ‘Palm House’ designed by Decimus Burton and Richard Turner.
1847 - Museum opened to house exhibits donated by Sir William Hooker director of the gardens.
1848 - Palm House completed.
1848 - Main Entrance built, designed by Decimus Burton.
1857 - Second museum opened (Museum I), designed by Decimus Burton.
1860 - Work begins on the Temperate House, designed by Decimus Burton.
1882 - Marianne North Gallery opened on 9th July housing botanical oil paintings.
1899 - Queen’s Cottage open to public.
1899 - Temperate House completed.
1904 - Edward VII presented Cambridge Cottage to Kew Gardens.
1920 - Refreshment Pavilion erected, designed by R.D. Allison.
1959 - 225ft tall flagstaff erected by the Royal Engineers.
1969 - Queen’s Garden situated at the rear of Kew Palace opened by Queen Elizabeth II in May.